Re: Radon Attenuation by HDPE

It's been a while but my recollection is that HDPE in the thickness used

in covers is essentially impermeable to radon.  However, defects such as

holes and bad seams can provide path to the surface for the radon.

After a little "googling", I found a radon permeability of ? 8 x E-12

m^2/s and transmission of 18 x 10E-9 m^2/s for a LDPE/HDPE sandwich

(http://www.nsai.ie/Irish_Agrement_Board/upload/0154.pdf).

<http://www.nsai.ie/Irish_Agrement_Board/upload/0154.pdf>

There numbers appear to be for an intact membrane.

Ralph E. Wild, Ph.D.

Ralph E. Wild LLC

    Radioactive Waste Management

    Radiological Risk Assessment