Re: Badge Reading Differences

On 22 Jul 2004 at 14:40, R. J. Gunter wrote:

> Mr Garrett,

> The difference is not surprising. You might ask to film dosimeter

> provider (I assume this one read higher) to analyze the response

> assuming the exposure was from X-rays only (they have this option

> available if you ask for given wearers). This will likely reduce the

> dose considerably. In my consultancy I recommend appropriate

> dosimeters for clients based on their use. Film is an excellent

> dosimeter if you know exactly what the film was exposed to and use

> that assumption when you read it. More likely than not, they just ran

> the film badge with no assumptions. Angular response exposes the area

> under the filter making the effective energy seem higher. This makes

> the overall dose higher by about the factor you mention below.

Hi Rob,

You have been away from us fore quite some time. Your information

regarding our film algorithm needs "quite a bit" of tweaking.

1. Our 5 element film dosimeter is treated like a TLD.

2. Our algorithm was based on thousands of irradiations to all of the

72 beam codes, NIST, ISO and Narrow, including all of the required

angles, +/- 60 degrees, and in the H and V orientation.

3. The algorithm has finger prints for each of these combinations.

4. In addition, we read the film using a laser and CCD camera, which

captures the entire image, not just the filtered areas, and,

digitizes the entire output, for detailed analysis.

5. The algorithm treats the film 5 elements like a TLD, and, the

finger-print, similar to a DNA finger-print, identifies not only the

type of radiation, energy, etc., but also the most likely incident

angle. The algorithm even provides the assumed mixture, percent and

for each component.

As you can see, our algorithm is quite sophisticated, and, we passed

the entire ANSI N13.11-2001 Performance Test Standard, including

excellent response in Cat. IIA.  Our film performance is on par, if

not better than many TLD systems out there performing NVLAP badging.

Also, please note that the film was NOT the dosimeter in question.

The dose we reported was consistent with what the Radiologists

expected to see, base don historical data.

We can talk some more and bring you up-to-date :)

Sandy

------------------------------------

Sandy Perle

Sr. Vice President, Technical Operations

Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.

3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sperle@dosimetry.com

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/