Keith Dinger AND Andy Karam on NPR

>Keith Dinger was also part of the report, I thought they both did a

great job. Phil Egidi

I changed the subject line, because I agree 110%, they both did a

fantastic job. Folks, we are in a breakthrough period. NPR got two good

experts from our society on who:

1) Gave reasonable, common sense answers about a pertinent radiation

protection topic to a large body of listeners,

2) Did so in easy to understand language,

3) Did so on behalf of the Society, and

4) Got NPR to correctly identify and describe the Society.

Andy's long history of good work with media interaction paid off, as he

got across some important messages about radiation dose and risk, using

excellent down-to-earth language and personal examples. This short

transcript is a PhD level lesson in media relations, I encourage

everyone to listen to it (several times) and take to heart the lessons

that these two great HPs just taught us. Combined with the success over

the last couple of years of the HPS' Ask the Expert site (of which both

Andy and Keith are regular contributors), we are achieving a long sought

after goal of being heard and understood by the public and the media.

Bravo!

Another note - as we are often quick to send angry letters to news

outlets who get it wrong, I think it behooves us to send nice letters to

NPR, who got this one right!

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068