AW: Query - ambient air sampling background subtraction

Franz Schoenhofer

PhD, MR iR

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna

AUSTRIA

phone -43-0699-1168-1319

Yes and No, depending on. You did not give any information what the goal

of such measurements are. Is it environmental monitoring, is it a

plutonium producing site?

I have installed an environmental aerosol monitoring network in Austria

in the early seventies, which is still working well. What we were aiming

at, was simply changes in aerosol activities and the system worked well

in 1986 after the Chernobyl accident and gave us extremely valuable

information. After Chernobyl and even before we found a few times

elevated concentrations of I-131 (probably somebody having had a iodine

treatment for his thyroid had passed by the samplers) and Cs-137 from

the Algeciras accident have been found. Since we have the concentrations

of eight stations in our small Austrian country (83 000 Km2) for now

about at least 25 years we can decide about unusual input. From data of

one day compared to the other you might not be able to make a decision,

unless you find extreme variations.

Additional questions are welcome, but I will be in Spain from Oct. 1 to

19th.

Best regards,

Franz

background