Re: Thorium X-Rays from U-238

At 11:08 AM 10/21/2004, Peter.Vernig@MED.VA.GOV wrote:

>I don't see why both K and L shell electrons should not be self ionized by

>alpha particles.

The energy to ionize the L-shell electron comes from the de-excitation of

the thorium nucleus, not from the alpha particle. The thorium de-excitation

energy is 50 keV, which is too small to ionize a K-shell electron.

Why doesn't the alpha particle ionize K-shell electrons? In my

simple-minded model, the alpha particle only interacts with a K-shell

electron when it is between the K and L shells, which is a fuzzy concept

and a very short time; anyway, it has a very low probability. For a more

detailed discussion, see http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v90/i1/p11_1

mike

Mike McNaughton

Los Alamos National Lab.