Re: Definition of radiation accident and radiation incident

According with the IAEA:

1- Accident -  Any unintended event, including operating errors, equipment

failures or other mishaps, the consequences or potential consequences of

which are not negligible from the point of view of protection or safety.

Nuclear accident - Any accident involving facilities or activities from

which a release of radioactive material occurs or is likely to occur and

which has resulted or may result in an international transboundary release

that could be of radiological safety significance for another State.

This is not explicitly stated to be a definition of nuclear accident, but it

is derived from the statement of the scope of application in Article 1 of

the Convention on Early Notification of a Nuclear Accident, and therefore

may be regarded as such a definition. For the purposes of Agency

publications,

2 - The word incident is often used, in INES and elsewhere, to describe

events that are, in effect, minor accidents, i.e. that are distinguished

from accidents only in terms of being less severe. This is an arbitrary

distinction with little basis in normal usage.

An incident can be minor or major, just as an accident can, but unlike an

accident, an incident can be caused intentionally.

Nuclear incident - Any occurrence or series of occurrences having the same

origin which causes nuclear damage or, but only with

respect to preventive measures, creates a grave and imminent threat of

causing such damage.

The definition, as you can see,  does not distinguish between nuclear or

radiological or radioactive sources. So, considering  radioactive sources,

you can use the same concept, Example - The Radiological Accident in

Goiania, (Not as many use to write Radiological Incident of Goiania) I wrote

to IAEA that I can't agree with a level less than 6.

I have proposed to IAEA to create a new Scale, IRES International

Radiological Event System with the same levels than those used in INES.

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel