Re: update/summary real time extremity dosimetry

Julian,

Thanks for your detailed reply. Good perspective. As you know, we are

an ADS in the UK, and the requirements are similar, yet quite

different when compared to NVLAP, DOELAP and CNSC. Most of the EU and

Canada are more focused on Type Testing and statistics, while the US

is more focused on performance. We just completed our 5 year renewal

on-site with HSE, and I see where there is a slight move that accepts

the use of an algorithm to report doses for very low energy beta, as

well as photons, using specific dose algorithms, when in the past, it

was permitted to basically report the response to the dosimeter

without taking into account specific energy correction factors. I for

one am happy to see this move, even though it is only a beginning.

As far as ED as dose of record, I think the issue is similar to here

in the US. Risk Management is not willing to move from a dosimeter

that can detect and report all types of radiation and energies using

a detailed dose algorithm, for a dosimeter that is precise, but, is

only as good as the calibration, and from that zero point, there is a

significant drop off in accuracy, both in the high as well as the low

end of the normal distribution. This is instrument dependent, of

course.

I'll be waiting to see what other data and your evaluation of that

data, when it is made available to you.

Regards,

Sandy

Sandy Perle

Senior Vice President, Technical Operations

Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.

2652 McGaw Avenue

Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714 Extension 2306

Fax:(949) 296-1144

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/