Re: Interesting website

Thanks for the submission. Articles such as this are meant to inculcate

a belief, not inform.

The article you mention imputes that since she didn't smoke, her lung

cancer was caused by radon. This disregards the extremely long list of

other potential lung carcinogens to which she may have been exposed.

Since they don't mention the radon level, I suspect it to be slightly

above the EPA action level. Never smokers in low radon areas get lung

cancer (and COPD) too. I'd seen these as a respiratory therapy

technician in tidewater Virginia many years ago.

Regarding your earlier post on the rebuttal to Dr. Cohen's study,

opponents have attacked the meaning of the Cohen's data, but they

haven't challenged the basic data. Areas in the nation with higher radon

levels generally have lower lung cancer. Iowa has one of the higher

radon levels in the nation, but one of the lower lung cancer rates. Here

are some other generalities from radon case-control studies:

- studies on never smokers tend to not express a correlation between

radon and lung cancer.

- most of the radon studies rely on smokers to generate enough lung

cancers to study. This boggles me because most people don't smoke, and

even in the worst case scenario a smokers best action to lower the

chance of lung cancer is to quit smoking.

- 65% of lung cancers in studies have radon levels below 2 pCi/l; 80% of

lung cancers have lung cancers below 4 pCi/l; positive odd rations at 4

pCi/l are really based on small numbers.

- Radon studies almost always use 4 pCi/l (150 Bq/m^3) and greater for

their high dose group, even in European studies, where the action levels

are 200 Bq/m^3 for new construction and 400 Bq/m^3 for already built

houses. It's seems inappropriate and arbitrary for scientific studies to

use a regulatory agency's action level as a demarcation point in their

analyses.

- I've seen numerous ecological studies on a number of subjects and none

have been fervently attacked as Cohen's study. Apparently, Cohen's study

has touched a soft spot in someone's armor.

Tom

--

Thomas Mohaupt, M.S., CHP

Radiation Safety Officer