Re: Structural radiation protection for 64 slice CT

The collimation may have some small effect on the sheilding, but its not significant,

certainly not double.  The shielding depends primarily on how much scanning the CT

will do.  Its easy to make a mistake about the shielding if you use a pat workload of

20,000 or 30,000 mAmin/week, because the workload has to account for the slice width

quoted in the scatter plot.  You can see this if you think about sheilding a CT for

scanning exclusively in 5 mm/rotation mode, and compare that to sheilding the same

patient workload done exclusively in 10 or 20 mm/rotation mode.

Thats assumming that other scanner characteristics are equivalent.  For example, if the

particular scanner uses less sensitive detectors that require more radiation, then of

course the scattered radiation will be larger.

For the 64 slice CT, the scatter radiation at a given instant will definitely be higher, but

the weekly dose to a nearby point will only increase if the patient workload increases.

Since the 16 slice scanners are already very fast, patient throughput is limited by factors

other than scan speed and can not increase much.

-Gary Isenhower