Date:         Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:56:43 -0500

From: Kimberly Dalton Ferris <dalton@GENESEO.EDU>

Subject: [CSHEMA-L] Lead bricks powdering

To: CSHEMA-L@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Hey all:

I received a question from our Physics department and am seeking input from

those more knowledgeable than I on the subject.

Their lead shielding bricks produce a "powder" when handled.  They are

wearing gloves to minimize contact when having to move the bricks, but are

wondering if there are other methods that might be more successful at

reducing the dust - painting the bricks seems to be an option used at some

locations - but appears to be more applicable to applications where the

bricks are more permanently located  (here they are not, we move ours

frequently).

I'm sure some of the radiation experts out there have encountered this

before.  Please share the knowledge...

Thanks.

Kim

Kimberly Dalton Ferris

Director, Environmental Health and Safety

118 Clark

SUNY Geneseo

(585)-245-5512

(585)-245-5006 FAX

dalton@geneseo.edu

--- end forwarded text

--

Tom Shelley,   Laboratory Ventilation Consultant

Department of Environmental Health and Safety

Cornell University

125 Humphreys Service Building

Ithaca, NY 14853

607 255-8200 (message at EH&S)