Re: Humans Raise Risk of Europe Heatwaves:

Hi Howard:

While 17,000 individuals may have signed the petition noted at the link

you cite claiming little if any affect from global warming concerns, it is

hardly accurate to say that these 17,000 scientists had "studied the

problem". The link does provide a paper by several scientist reviewing

information that they gathered from various selected sources. I have no

doubt that the tobacco industry back in the late 1950s to early 1960s

[before the Surgeon General issued his first detailed report in 1964 [?]

about the hazards of cigaretee smoking], could have gotten 17,000

physicians and "scientists" to sign a petition that cigarette smoking had

no adverse effects on health if it had bothered to try.

As I understand what's going on in Venice, the city has been sinking for

hundreds of years since it sits on unstable sediments of the Lagoon around

it. From a website about the issue of Venice notes: "But the rising

Adriatic Sea is rapidly exacerbating the problem.  At the current rate the

sea will rise a foot in this century [Note: basde on current sea level

rise of about 3 mm/year].   Italian officials made the decision to

construct elaborate tide dams at Lagoon entrances.  Environmental groups

and some scientists warn that higher tide and storm levels will soon

overcome these defenses, while the dams may isolate the Lagoon from the

natural flushing it needs to remain a viable ecosystem."

Bottom line, if you plan a visit to Venice do it sooner rather than later

or you'll need to bring your tall waterproof boots along.

Stewart Farber

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:35:25 -0800 (PST), howard long <hflong@pacbell.net>