LNT - a semantic comment

The email below was sent to me directly (thank you!). I agree - the linear

term will remain in the limit - some people in favor of thresholds may not

like this aspect but it should be noticed - I don't see a possibility to

circumvent the linear term (as the dose ->zero) of a Taylor series.

If anything, the Taylor series is general theory for functions. The

mechanistic problem is about what the corresponding function actually looks

like and it was in this sense I looked at the use of the word "theory".

Bill's comment is indeed very important - what may look like thresholds in

observations could conceal what is going on in the limit (I favor this idea

of a linear component in the limit - it must not necessarily make people

hysterically afraid of radiation).

To summarize, if we refer to the general Taylor aspect - LNT is a theory but

most often I think that the context is more about "we don't know what is

going on there (low doses)". One could say that the Taylor approach is the

first step of a theory - then it is "just" to expand the theory with all the

other elements of the mathematical series... :-)

Thanks again Bill.

My personal initiative only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com

Dear Bjorn,

    One point that bothers me is this-Taylor's theorem shows that for small

enough changes in the independent variable, any function approximately

behaves

linearly. So I have always thought that linearity was a first order

approximation to the unknown function in the low dose region and hence

shouldn't

be a fundamental issue-the really important aspect is the assumption about

the

value of the intercept-ie that it is zero.

Cheers,

Bill