Re: Humans Raise Risk ... / cancer & smoking

Julian,

Thank you for your comment. It was the Wynder and the Levin ref. that my

science advisor didn't like. It is interesting to see that Sir Austin B.

Hill was involved in one of these (I am not surprised - he is the name

behind "Hill's criteria").

Best regards,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com

<snip>

There were I understand 5 studies published in 1950, the three most widely

know being by Richard Doll and Austin Bradford Hill, Ernst L. Wynder, and

Morton

L. Levin.

It seems to be one of those subjects where there is some confusion over who

came first.   In the UK we like to think that it was Richard Doll and Austin

Bradford Hill who had written a report on a study based on lung cancer

patients

in London, but this was not published at the time.   Instead the study was

expanded to included other major cities in the UK and a revised paper was

published late in 1950.   In the meantime the two studies by Wynder and

Levin had

already been published.

However the UK's Medical Research Council (a Government Advisory Body who

had

sponsored the research of Doll and Bradford Hill) did accept that there was

causal link between smoking and lung cancer in 1957.