uranium accumulation in testicles

Although I appreciate the need for humor on this bleak topic, I

am concerned about the proportion of international readers who

might not know that "nuts" is a euphemism for "testicles."  And

so here are some quotes with their full citations from "A review

of the effects of uranium and depleted uranium exposure on

reproduction and fetal development," in _Toxicology and Industrial

Health_, vol. 17, pp. 180-191 (2001), which is temporarily at:

   http://www.bovik.org/du/reproduction-review-2001.pdf

"In rats, there is strong evidence of DU accumulation in tissues

including testes, bone, kidneys, and brain."  Pellmar, T.C.,

Fuciarelli, A.F., Ejnik, J.W., Hamilton, M., Hogan, J., Strocko, S.,

Edmond, C., Mottaz, H.M. and Landauer, M.R. "Distribution of uranium

in rats implanted with depleted uranium pellets," _Toxicol Sci_,

vol. 49, pp. 29-39 (1999.)

"Degenerative changes in the testes resulting in aspermia in the

testes and epididymis ... apparently a result of uranyl nitrate"

Maynard, E.A., Downs, W.L. and Hodge, H.C., "Oral toxicity of

uranium compounds," in Voegtlin, C. and Hodge, H.C., editors,

_Pharmacology and Toxicology of Uranium_, Volume 3 (New York:

McGraw-Hill, 1953), pp. 1221-1369.

"uranium exposure causes morphologic changes in the rat testes

possibly as the result of a uranium-induced autoimmune response.

... Average testes weight was significantly (P<0.05) decreased

in rats exposed to uranyl nitrate....  Titers of testicular

autoantibodies were described as fairly high for rats with chronic

exposure to uranium and the authors relate this finding to the

possibility that the observed testicular changes are an autoimmune

response to protein confirmation changes as a result of

uranium–protein interactions. Four other references are cited ...

as evidence of an interaction between uranium and the testes or

thyroid but are not reviewed here."  Malenchenko, A.F., Barkun, N.A.

and Guseva, G.F., "Effect of uranium on the induction and course of

experimental autoimmune orchitis and thyroiditis," _J Hyg Epidemiol

Microbiol Immunol_, vol. 22, pp. 268-277 (1978.)

"The number of female mice impregnated successfully was

significantly reduced at all levels of uranium exposure as

compared with negative controls."  Hu, Q. and Zhu, S., "Induction

of chromosomal aberrations in male mouse germ cells by uranyl

fluoride containing enriched uranium," _Mutat Res_, vol. 244,

pp. 209-214 (1990.)

Testicular injection with ... uranyl fluoride ... resulted in a

dose-dependent increase in chromosomal aberrations (i.e., DNA

breakage, SCEs) in spermatogonia, primary spermatocytes, and

mature sperm of adult mice."  Zhu, S.P., Hu, Q.Y. and Lun, M.Y.,

"Studies on reproductive toxicity induced by enriched uranium,"

_Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi_, vol. 28, pp. 219-222 (1994.)

"existing data indicate that implanted DU translocates to the

rodent testes and ovary, the placenta, and fetus....  DU has

been shown to be genotoxic...."  Benson, K.A., _Evaluation of

the health risks of embedded depleted uranium (DU) shrapnel on

pregnancy and offspring development_, Annual Report No. 19981118

065 (October 1998.) -- DOES ANYONE HAVE A BETTER CITATION FOR THIS???

That quote also cites Pellmar, et al., as above, and A. Miller et

al., from the U.S. Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute,

whose work can be found on MEDLINE.

Anyone interested in the topic should read these Bob Evans articles:

http://www.dailypress.com/news/specials/dp-du-day1super,0,588771.htmlstory

http://www.dailypress.com/news/specials/dp-du1,0,4619431.story

http://www.dailypress.com/news/specials/dp-du2,0,4684968.story

http://www.dailypress.com/news/specials/dp-du3,0,4750505.story

http://www.dailypress.com/news/specials/dp-du4,0,4816042.story

http://www.dailypress.com/news/specials/dp-du5,0,4881579.story

and this Helen Thomas column:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/helenthomas/3989401/detail.html

As Bill Prestwich pointed out in off-list email, my suggestion

that uranium might be detectable with NMRI is very questionable,

because U235 is the only uranium isotope with a nonzero nuclear

magnetic moment.  As Bill wrote, "detecting 232 U in vivo is

virtually impossible," without invasive tissue sampling, I would

add (and, on this subject, I would also add:  OUCH!)

However, Part Five of the Bob Evans series above --

http://www.dailypress.com/news/specials/dp-du5,0,4881579.story

-- explains in detail how the U.K. spectrographic test of urine

is about three orders of magnitude more sensitive than the urine

test presently being used with U.S. troops.  But since our

(U.S.) cation tests have good correlation at the levels being

detected, I'm not entirely sure we need to upgrade.  Of course

the levels are "higher than expected" if you only consider the

uranium oxide ash combustion products to the exclusion of the

much more slowly precipitating uranyl nitrate.

Sincerely,

James Salsman