Alphas are shielded by as little as a paper sheet, betas are probably

shielded by the metal of the plane. The rest is not only gammas, but to

a large and varying extent neutrons, which will not be detected by a

Geiger-Mueller tube. Therefore the real dose is always higher than the

one measured with a simple instrument. Additionally the dose factors for

heavy particles from the cosmic rays are not known very well.

Nevertheless it is a good demonstration that dose-rates increase with

altitude.

Best regards,

Franz