Re: AW: Denver, BEWARE!

At 08:44 AM 12/20/2004 -0500, J. Marshall Reber wrote:

>>I made on an airplane a few years ago--and at altitude (IIRC about 41,000

>>feet) we were up at about 250µR per hour (as measured on an Aware RM-70

>>pancake G-M tube)

>Does the RM-70 have a provision to shield out the alphas and betas in

>order to use the gamma sensitivity factor to legitimately convert the

>counts to µR/h?

I apologize for the sloppiness in reporting. The configuration of the

device probably excluded any alphas in the plane as it was inside a Tumi

ballistic nylon briefcase. The mica window of the RM-70 does permit alpha

particles to enter.

The calibration factor was done using the nominal cpm/mR/hr for Cs-137 of

1490. The tube is a 7231 pancake tube.

Cheers,

Richard