RE: Radon 'Causes 9% of Lung Cancer Deaths'

We had a message of this kind for Sweden some 3-4 years ago. The conclusion

was 500 annual lung cancer deaths due to radon. Since the total is 3000

people annually dying from lung cancer that would indicate a 16 % figure. It

was, however, said that of those 500 deaths 90 % were smokers which would

then make it 50 (1.6 %) out of a total of 3000.

It is thus obvious that the statistics is weak - add spurious cases,

hereditary burden*, asbestos, car exhausts etc. To me 50 (attributed to

radon) could be anything from zero to several hundred - I simply question

whether it is possible to gain "knowledge" of anything at a level of 1.6 %

of the total. If anything of what I have written here can be improved, I

will appreciate such related comments.

My personal initiative and reflection only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com

---

* Genetcis - this reminds me that one of my genetics teachers - professor

emeritus Karl G Lüning passed away about a month ago. I am sure that some

Radsafers met his name in one way or another.