Re: Arsenic ingestion from well water associated withincreased risk of lung cancer

Otto et al:

I find these WHO findings surprising indeed, for a number of reasons:

1.  Water here is  naturally well above the EPA drinking water MCL, and does not seem to have caused any problems at all.

2.  Shellfish concentrate arsenic; are there any studies showing cancer increases in people who eat a lot of seafood?

3.  The skin cancer correlation is surprising because arsenicals used to be common ingredients of skin ointments.  Bag balm is (or was) an arsenical.  Maybe it is the use of these ointments that is causing cancer.

4.  In our studies of the Tacoma smelter, the only observed correlation between arsenic and cancer was between arsenic inhaled in the workplace and mesothelioma.  There have been studies showing increased mesothelioma in copper smelter communities, correlated with airborne arsenic.

I also don't understand how arsenic in drinking water could cause lung cancer, in particular.  Dissolved arsenic does not have a high vapor pressure.

I don't doubt the WHO -- I just find this confusing.

Ruth

--

Ruth F. Weiner

ruthweiner@aol.com