European Residential Radon Pooling

Maury,

I recall you have heard this term a few years ago, see:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/0201/msg00754.html

Pooling is not a new buzzword as can be seen by its use in the papers below.

However, it may be a new term for many in the Health Physics community.  Some

people may have loosely used meta-analysis to describe the use of raw data in

the past.   See these papers from the early 1990s. Pooling is a much more

rigorous approach to combining data from various studies. Pooling allows

greater diagnostic ability - for example - to determine hetereogeneity between

studies or determine whether one or two studies are driving the results of the

entire pooling.  These diagnostics will be described in great detail when the

results of the North American Pooling are published in 2005. Feel free to email

me directly if you would like more details bill-field@uiowa.edu  Merry

Christmas!

>From an occupational perspective.

J Occup Med. 1991 Dec;33(12):1257-60.

Data pooling in occupational studies.

Checkoway H.

Department of Environmental Health, University of Washington, School of Public

Health and Community Medicine, Seattle 98195.

Summarizing epidemiologic data from multiple studies can be accomplished EITHER

by a meta-analysis of published findings OR by pooling data and performing new

analyses of enlarged data sets. Meta-analysis is relatively easy and

inexpensive to perform but usually is restricted to examination of overall

risks. Data pooling offers a more direct approach for subcohort analyses and

for estimation of dose-response relationships. The advantages of pooling data

from multiple studies of workers with similar exposures pertain primarily to

enlarged study bases and a greater potential for evaluating statistically

stable dose-response relationships than can be accomplished by meta-analysis.

Valid methods for data pooling that are developed for cohort mortality studies

of relatively large worker populations ultimately can be applied to studies of

other health outcomes using different study designs.

Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 1990;6(1):5-30.

Some statistical methods for combining experimental results.

Laird NM, Mosteller F.

Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115.

Advances in science and technology are generally the product of multiple

investigations. This article discusses statistical methods for combining

empirical results from a series of different experiments or clinical

investigations. We delineate the steps an assessor might take in combining data

from different studies and provide references for topics not discussed in

detail. The article reviews some of the most commonly used statistical

techniques for combining results in the medical and social sciences.