Re: Rush

Barbara wrote:

"EPA staff's view is that it is the incremental risk from a particular

regulated activity that is important; not the relationship of that risk to

overall background risk."  (SECY-96-110, Section 6.3).

jjcohen wrote:

According to its EPA's TV commercials, radon is the second leading cause of

lung cancer. Maybe their attempts to stimulate public concern have not been

very successful, but you can't fault EPA for not trying.

Government regulates because it can.  It regulates business and industry as

well as other governments (state and local).  It regulates because it can

and regulates what it can.  Otherwise all it has is recommendations.  I

have 4 pCi/l in my basement and I don't have to do anything about it.

Maybe the public has less interest than expected because there is no one to

sue.  If I want to mitigate the radon levels, I have to pay, not Johns

Manville or Phillip Morris.

A PBS mind in an MTV world.

Paul Prichard

Millstone Station