ATomic Energy Regulatory Board inspected the nuclear power station atKalpakkam

Dear Dr Cederval,

THe Indian Atomic Energy Regulatory Board inspected the nuclear power station at kalpakkam. The Board has issued the following press release:

"There has been concern about the status of the nuclear power reactors and other facilities in Kalpakkam in view of the Tsunami hitting the east coast. To assess the status of their health, the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) deputed a Senior Level Team consisting of five members. The team visited the site on 29 December 2004, and inspected the affected areas.

At the time the Tsunami struck the Kalpakkam coast, Unit-2 of the Madras Atomic Power Station was operating at its authorised power. Following entry of sea water into the pump house, Unit-2 was tripped and the reactor was brought to a safe shutdown state. Unit-1 of the station has been shutdown for some time for refurbishment.

The AERB Team inspected all the important areas of the plant including the reactor building, the control room, the turbine building, the pump house, jetty, firewater pump house and outer peripheral areas of the service building. All systems, services and structures were found to be in good condition. All radiological conditions in the plant are normal and there has been no release or discharge of radioactivity from the plant. The AERB team also noted that the operator response to the event had been correct and timely. After completing its comprehensive inspection, the team has concluded that the plant is in a healthy state and is ready to resume power generation.

The Fast Breeder Test Reactor and other facilities in the Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research at Kalpakkam were also inspected by the team. It was observed that there has been no impact on these facilities"