AW: ETV-ICP-MS Analysis of Radium

Leo,

Not being an expert in ICP-MS I can only draw some conclusions because

of analogies: Because of its relatively long half-life Ra-226 should be

possible to be analysed by ICP-MS (compare Pu-239). Ra-228 is usually

equally important from the radiation protection point of view (for

instance in drinking water), but with its short half-life I do not see

any possibility to be determined by ICP-MS, not to talk about Ra-224,

which is on the other side of no importance in radiation protection.

Since I worked myself extensively with radium-226 and radon-222 I was

always extremely interested in any papers, but I do not know the one you

mentioned, nor do I remember any on ICP-MS techniques for radium.

As Bernhard Cohen pointed out the instruments were once extremely

expensive - they went down considerably both in prize and size since,

but still you need dedicated experts to run them. As with most modern

instruments they are likely to be cost-effective if you run very large

numbers of samples for the same analyte, just for a few samples per year

it does not make any sense to buy them.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer

PhD, MR iR

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna

AUSTRIA

phone -43-0699-1168-1319

Atomic

> Spectrometry (Vol.12:547-551) at

> http://pubs.rsc.org/ej/JA/1997/D9607270.PDF ,

>   it has a detection limit of less than 2 fg (femtograms) or about 7 x

> !0(-5) Bq, a very low value.  It is apparently also very quick

(minutes)