RE: Harmless?

>The language suggested by NIH is the same weasel wording that totally

confuses the public in my experience.  The public has no conception of

what "minimal" or "acceptable" means in this context.

What was nice about this language is that the NIH worked for about 18

months with a broad spectrum of individuals to get language that is

technically accurate, but able to be understood even by people with

limited educational background. Everyone can relate to the number of

months of simple existence; some do not relate, for example, to trips in

airplanes, smoking, hang gliding, or other risk-related analogies.

>Why is it that we cannot say "Low doses are safe," in the general sense

of the word and let it go at that....There are many in the health

physics, medical profession, ethicists and others who agree that low

doses are safe and harmless. Why can't we say so?

Ummm, because it is contradicted by a large body of reliable scientific

evidence? Yes, there are "many" who believe what you state. There are

"many" who, quite honestly, believe that low levels may be associated

with some small, but finite risks. Both positions can selectively cite

the literature that they wish to push their point of view, but the issue

is far from settled. Representing it otherwise is scientifically

unjustified and ethically (not to mention legally) on shaky ground.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068