Re: Anyone know about this?

Would you consider this comparable to the rise of

detector systems at landfills about 10 years ago?  I

have not heard of any waste incidents recent.  Of

course, the public was not as concerned about medical

waste going into landfills as they are in terrorists

having nuclear weapons.

--- BLHamrick@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/27/2005 7:27:52 A.M. Pacific

> Standard Time,

> Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us writes:

> Sorry, I  don't buy the argument that this is OK,

> and that we couldn't have

> done any  better. If we can't figure out a way to

> determine what's significant

> and  what's not, we're going to run ourselves ragged

> chasing Tc-99m at

> landfills  and causing large scale evacuations (and

> imposing financial burdens) for

> "no  never mind" incidents ... essentially playing

> into the hands of those who

> would use the general public's ignorance of all

> things radioactive as a

> weapon  against us.

> I agree.  This is an enormous problem for the

> radiation regulatory

> community, and a significant expense for our federal

> and state taxpayers.   I am aware

> of a number of "non-events" that have expended

> rather extraordinary  resources

> in their wake, including the evacuation of a

> building in a major

> metropolitan area, resulting from someone finding an

> exempt source, and other  similar

> incidents.

> If everyone and their brother is going to be issued

> radiation detection

> instruments, then the national radiation protection

> community (including the

> regulatory agencies) is (are) going to have to step

> up and set some standards  for

> training people to use them correctly, training

> people to understand the

> wide variety of sources that are being used legally

> and safely in the community,

> and training people, most especially, on how to

> contact an "expert" to get

> input  on whether or not there is really a hazard

> present.

> We do not need to be calling out the FBI, DOE, NRC,

> EPA, and State

> regulatory agencies every time a first responder

> with a new instrument discovers  that

> radiation is all around us.

> Barbara L. Hamrick

=====

"It doesn't matter whether you're riding an elephant or a donkey if you're going in the wrong direction."

Jesse Jackson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist