[ RadSafe ] ANSI Standards for Portals, Meters and Dosimetry.

KSmith teraboat at prodigy.net
Fri Apr 1 23:56:11 CEST 2005

Sandy,

I do not think the root of the problem that Tony was
eluding to is the standards at all. These requirements
are fine if all responders are supposed to be "Dick
Tracy's" and be able to find the bad guys BEFORE a
nuclear incident occurs. The standards are almost
useless for after an event.

Tony's lament seems to be more in regard to the fact
that the (all encompassing)DHS has mandated that no
grant funds can be spent on anything that is not on
the "approved" list.

It is de-facto bid rigging and effectively eliminates
any competitive bidding process. The standardize
everything and one size fits all mentality nationwide
is absurd.

IF DHS mandated that only 100 foot ladder trucks can
be purchased with grant funds, that may be fine for a
big city Fire Departments, but a town with only three
story buildings and a 30 foot wide main street, that
mandated equipment is usless. But that is what they
will be forced to buy; or nothing.

The reality is that the mandated radiation detection
equipment standards will prevent first responders from
ever getting even close to a post nuclear or
radiological incident with their overly sensitive,
overpriced interdiction detectors. (Mostly
manufactured by large companies that make large
campaign contributions.)

A proposed safe perimeter of 2mR/hr. and equipment
that tops out at 10-20mR/hr. will stop all responders
miles from the (rescue) crime scene. Only after the
Feds arrive with with "un-approved" higher level
detection capabilities will the true scope of the
radiation foot print be known.

DHS, TSWG, S&T, HPS, FEMA, NIST, NRC, BRH etc. and a
lot of other ivory tower technocrats that unwittingly
will have made it impossible for first responders to
be anything more than observers at a real nuclear
situation, will never be held accountable, as it is
all done via committees and experts recommendations.
The blame is spread so far and wide, that no one will
be to blame. It's the latest trend in cover your ass..

 Find my the person that mandated that no equipment
shall be purchased with DHS grant funds, except that
which is on the approved list. You can't find them to
question the rational of such a reckless policy.

IMHO

Karl F. Smith
Kno-Rad, Inc.
PO Box 400
Rockville, VA 23146, USA
phone: 804-749-4381
fax:   804-749-4657
cell:  804-512-6556
KSmith at KnoRad.com
http://www.KnoRad.com

--- Sandy Perle <sandyfl at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> Yes, there is some contradictory policies in play
> here.
>
> The ANSI N42 Committee is not under the HPS
> Secretariat, and as such,
> is not within my direct involvement in my capacity
> as Chair, HPS
> Standard Committee.
>
> Here is the ANSI N42 website, that may shed some
> light:
>
> http://standards.ieee.org/getN42/
>
> For additional information, I suggest contacting
> Morgan Cox for
> answers to some of your questions, since Morgan is
> significantly
> involved with these Standards morgancx at swcp.com
> and also Mike Unterweger, NIST, also significantly
> involved
> michael.unterweger at nist.gov
>
> Good luck on finding rationale behind the scenes!
> -------------------------------------
> Sandy Perle
> Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
> Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
> 2652 McGaw Avenue
> Irvine, CA 92614
>
> Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714  Extension 2306
> Fax:(949) 296-1902
>
> E-Mail: sperle at dosimetry.com
> E-Mail: sandyfl at earthlink.net
>
> Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/