[ RadSafe ] ANSI Standards for Portals, Meters and Dosimetry.

DSnowder at aol.com DSnowder at aol.com
Sat Apr 2 20:58:51 CEST 2005

Tony,

Perhaps I can contribute some "lessons learned" on the subject of  the ODP's
mandate for the purchase of standardized instruments that  meet ANSI
performance standards.  .

My background consists of being a Co-founder and Chair (for 6  years) of the
National Dept. Of Energy Health Physics Instrument Committee which  was formed
of a committee of approx. 24 DOE facilities. We formed the  committee in 1991
when it was noted that the 24 DOE facilities were at that  time using over
120 models of radiation detection instruments. Our charter  was to investigate,
test, and recommend a suite of 10-12 manufacturer  instrument models that all
DOE facilities could standardize on and thus see  significant savings in costs
from reduction of procedures, spare parts,  inventory, etc.

Our process for accomplishing this was much the same as that  used for the
Office Of Domestic Preparedness (ODP). We  developed new ANSI performance
standards, beefed up existing ANSI  Standards, and wrote formal test procedures. We
performed testing  on over 100 instrument models among  6 DOE facilities. We
formally approved  12 models for use.

Here are the "lessons learned" that may answer some of your  questions;

1.    Almost all ( i.e. 95%) of the instrument  models tested failed initial
testing. Those few models that did  pass had previously been manufactured to
Military Standards (Mil-Stds) by 1  or two manufacturers, usually for a one
time large contract and most of  whose development costs (usually in the hundreds
of thousands$) had  been subsidized by the DOD.  The cost of such instruments
were  3-4 times (or more) higher than traditionally  acceptable instruments.
The small additional performance benefits  that were gained were not anywhere
worth the excessive cost.  Additionally, these instruments were deemed too
complex and/or impractical for many end users because of their  enhanced
"robustness"  to meet ANSI standards. Consequently, many end  users did not accept,
nor procure, the higher cost recommended standard  instruments.

2.   Many field professionals ( i.e. Health Physics  technicians ) did not
like nor desire these additional enhancements (i.e. added  robustness, digital
readouts, background subtraction, integrated readout, etc.)  because they
usually came with side effects that made their  job more difficult and time
consuming for most of the routine duties that  required more simplified and easily
interpreted responses.  It was noted that in emergency response situations where
rapid  detection & evaluation was required, many HP technicians would often
revert to the less complex, and less costly, instrument models which  did not
pass the performance tests, but which were none-the-less adequate  for
measurements and had been used for many years at DOE  sites.  IF MANY TRAINED,
FULL-TIME CAREER PROFESSIONALS who use  these instruments every day, take this
action, imagine why an  Emergency responder who only uses these instruments once or
twice on an  annual basis would respond similarly.

AS a note, when our company recently conducted a regional response drill
involving 6 Emergency Response organizations ( Natl. Guard, State Police, Fire
Depts., etc.) and using real radioactive material here in Idaho, supposedly
professionally trained responders were discovered using count rate meters  to
measure dose rates. They had no clue of the difference between a count  rate
meter and a dose rate meter. Recently we have heard of several  Emergency
responder organizations in the U.S. rejecting large  numbers of equipment and
instruments bought on  Homeland Security grants until they received adequate training
on  them.

3.  The ANSI Standards are great in defining desired  performance
requirements. However, they leave out defining or including the most  important
components for an end user which is that of  user friendliness (i.e. less complex
operation), human ergonomics,  & affordability. The end user who uses these
instruments only  occasionally, does not usually care about an instrument's lower
limit of  detection (LLD), robustness, and/or precision if they  cannot
understand how to use it in an emergency.

4.   The development of many ANSI instrument  Standards too often involve
politics and bias, both from manufacturers  and the committee members and Chairs.
Too many times I have seen  some instrument manufacturers influence ANSI
committee members to  develop or "slant" standards that favor their instrument
models, or committee  members may be overly influenced by instrument models a
lready in use at their  workplace for which they had either direct or indirect
procurement authority  for.  A revision of a manufacturer's model to meet the
ANSI Standards may cost a significant sum of money with the  manufacturers
getting no guarantee that the "new & improved" model will give  them a decent ROI.
This frequently excludes numerous smaller instrument  manufacturers who
produce high quality, excellent instruments that  meet traditionally acceptable
performance standards.

Hope my personal observations and "lessons learned" help. Call me  if you
would like more details.

Dale Snowder
President/CEO
Qal-Tek Associates
3998 Commerce Circle
Idaho Falls, ID 83401
(208) 523-5557
_Qal-Tek Associates | Nuclear &  Radiological  Services_
(http://www.qaltek.com/)