[ RadSafe ] Laser Safety Help Using ANSI Z136.1(2000)

bnasca at kcp.com bnasca at kcp.com
Fri Apr 8 00:53:05 CEST 2005

Dear Friends:

I have recently been assigned the title: Laser Safety Officer.    After
taking a crash course in Laser Safety Officer duties, I am still having a
hard time trying to apply the ANSI Z136.1 (2000) criteria to my laser
program.  We have about (100) class 3b and 4 lasers on-site used for
marking, welding, cutting, and research.

Can anyone please suggest  a good reference document (like ANSI Z136.1
Laser Safety for Dummies),  makes this standard easier to understand in
applying it to different laser environments one encounters inside a
production/research facility.

Many thanks in advance,
Brent M. Nasca
Health Physics
National Nuclear Security Administration’s Kansas City Plant
Operated by Honeywell Federal Manufacturing & Technologies, LLC
Fax:     (816) 997-7257
Phone:  (816) 997-7197
Pager:  (816) 458-0399
email:  bnasca at kcp.com