[ RadSafe ] Bob Cherry on pyrophoric uranium munitions

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Tue Apr 12 13:37:08 CEST 2005

Dear Bob Cherry:

After reviewing the recent archives of the RADSAFE list, a number
of questions arise:

1.  Do you deny that pyrophoric uranium munitions produce poison gas?
If so, on what grounds?

2.  Do you deny that the use of poison gas is strictly forbidden by
the laws of war?  If so, on what grounds?

3.  Why has the U.S. Army never attempted to detect nitrogen compounds
in the combustion products of pyrophoric uranium munitions?

4.  Why has the U.S. Army never detected the UO3 species of uranium
oxide in the combustion products of pyrophoric uranium munitions?

I believe the answer to that last question has to do with the fact
that the less dense oxides, like the nitrogen compounds, waft up and
disperse over a much wider area than the denser oxides.  And, sadly,
the U.S. Army has only tested open-air, unenclosed burns of their
pyrophoric uranium munitions.

Now, having said all that, I feel that it is important that you know
I have not yet formed an opinion on the use of uranium in armor, but
I fear it would be easy for a sophisticated adversary to ignite.

Sincerely,
James Salsman