[ RadSafe ] RE: nuclear power is nowhere near green

Efforrer at aol.com Efforrer at aol.com
Tue Apr 12 17:31:49 CEST 2005

SO tell me what power source is truly 100% green.  Solar?  I don't think so.  Production of photo-voltaic solar panels results in pollutants released to the air and requires large volumes of water and hazardous chemicals not to mention large amounts of electricity.  Granted once the cells are in place they do not have any impact on the environment but we need to look at the entire life cycle of the system.  Wind power.  Wrong again.  Major raptor and migratory bird kills at the wind farm North of San Francisco.  In a strange twist of fate an environmental group has sued and won to get restrictions on the Altomonte pass wind farm (the largest in the nation and maybe the world) because of the bird and raptor kills.  So one environmental groups pet project is being vilified by another environmental group. Restrictions on the windmills will greatly reduce the capacity of the farm.  Also one benefit to a wind farm has been that the area around them would provide habitat for wildlife.  Ironically in order to reduce the raptor kill the area around the wind farms would need to be kept mowed to down to eliminate habitat for wildlife that would be prey for the raptors.
Large scale solar thermal electric plants require large areas of open space and while I don't have any statistics to back me up from the pictures I have seen I am pretty certain that there isn't a whole lot of wildlife around the reflectors.
Nothing IMHO can be called 100% green.  Everything has its problems.  Solar, wind and nuclear.