[ RadSafe ] Bob Cherry on pyrophoric uranium munitions

Ivor Surveyor isurveyor at vianet.net.au
Wed Apr 13 11:45:16 CEST 2005

>>... a major risk from exposure to soluble uranium is kidney damage, and there
>>are many drinking water source with uranium concentrations that will result
>>in kidney burdens above those possible from inhaled UNO(sub3).

My understanding is that soluble salts of Uranium are readily absorbed from
the lung, GI tract etc. However,  Assuming an acute exposure to soluble U
according to table 2 of Appendix 1 of Royal Society report part 2. 60-80%
of an intravenous dose in animal studies is excreted within 24h.
In humans 56.2% of uranium was excreted in urine within 24 h.

It seems to me, and I am open to correction that to cause clinical
significant renal damage, there would in general have to be chronic
(prolonged)exposure to soluble U.

The only case that I am aware of acute toxicity was described by Pavlakis N
et al from Royal North Shore Hospital Sydney.  Nepron 1996; 72:313-317.
The patient a male deliberately ingested 15g of uranium acetate. This
resulted in acute renal failure. He required dialysis.  Follow up at 6
months showed his creatinine had stabilized at 0.19 mmol/l and he had an
incomplete Fanconi syndrome.

I imagine it must unlikely that exposure from DU munition would approach
the level of 15 g a day.

Ivor Surveyor MD;FRCP;FRACP
Emeritus Consultant Physician, Nuclear Medicine.
email:  isurveyor at vianet.net.au