[ RadSafe ] Re: Some Australian Articles

Jim Hoerner jim_hoerner at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 14 03:25:17 CEST 2005

>From: Stabin, Michael <michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu>

>The annual effective dose from K-40 in the body
>is around 16 mrem for adults and 18 mrem for children, according to the
>UNSCEAR 1993 report, accounting for an annual population dose of 4.6 x
>10^6 person-rem*, assuming a population of 270 x 10^6 people.

>(*LNT'ers care to tell us how many deaths by cancer we can expect each
>year from this?)

[Answer: about 2300 annually, using 0.05 cancer fatalities per Sievert. I
don't know if this is more or less than the number of pretzel chokings.
What do I win?- JH]

My reply to Ivor's original query is at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Know_Nukes/message/12765 .

Regards,
Jim

--
Hold the door for the stranger behind you. When the driver in the adjacent
lane signals to get over, slow down. Smile and say "hi" to the folks you