[ RadSafe ] RE: Portal monitors to detect SNM

Dimiter Popoff didi at tgi-sci.com
Thu Apr 14 14:57:35 CEST 2005

In a private exchange I found out that portals are not even NaI,
they use plastic scintillators.
 Not that this is much of a difference for this application, but
it only shows they do MCS counting only (and how much use would
PHA mode acquisition be if they were NaI...).
 I can hardly imagine they will do much but false alarms.
And I am quite sure there have been people down the consulting
chain who have known that.
 If they also cost in the range of hundreds of US$, an order
(more likely two orders) of magnitude of improvement can be
had, just ask for a quotation...

Dimiter