AW: [ RadSafe ] Chino Airport to clean radium contamination

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Fri Apr 15 22:53:45 CEST 2005

John,

Since I have done an interesting research on the transfer of tritium
from wrist watches to the body I have looked after radium dials as well.

At the age of about 10 (I am 60 now) I received a wrist watch which (of
course) had radium dials and the hours were marked with radium "points".
I still have it, but it lacks after so many years most of the "points",
an effect which showed up already after a few years. It therefore is not
unlikely that the radium-paint might loosen from the dial.

But this would not be a problem, because these instruments had a glass
cover. The only problem being possible would be for persons repairing
these instruments. This has also been put forward to me by a person
dealing with the repair of instruments used in trains. It was found that
the working benches of these persons were contaminated by radium.
Unfortunately I was not able to finish this research, but it seemed to
me that the dose to the staff was below the ones acceptable for
radiation workers.

Concern is not at all on radon progeny - there is enough Rn-222 present
in all corners of this world. What makes the radon dials measurable is
the external gamma-dose rate, otherwise nobody would have been able to
state a "radiation protection problem".

I have read what was available on RADSAFE, there were no statements
about either radon progeny nor about gamma-dose rate nor what would
justify the clean up.

Anybody knows more about it, especially regarding my last comment?

Having visited the "grave-yard" for aeroplanes near Tucson a few times
(my younger boy was fascinated) I guess that there must be at least
several curies of Ra-226 there. If anyone wants to check the planes
their for Ra-226 I volunteer to participate for flight, food and
breakfast and I think that my son would hesitate to follow me.

Those radium dials had a great importance for the flight safety, whether
in war planes or in civilian aircraft. It was necessary to read the
instruments also during night and they were essential for survival or
safe landing. To demonize now this application would be totally wrong.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR