[ RadSafe ] U3O8 + O2 --> UO3, auf Deutsch

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Mon Apr 18 07:32:44 CEST 2005

Franz, or anyone else sufficiently literate in German:

Would you please help me translate this sentence?

"Bei 1200 bis 1800 K verdampft festes U3O8 in Gegenwart von
[molekularen] Sauerstoff zu gasfoermigem, vermutlich monomerem UO3."
(_Gmelin Handbuch der anorganischen Chemiek_, 8th ed., volume U-C2
(1978), page 118.)

So far I have this:

<< At 1200 to 1800 degrees Kelvin, solid U3O8, in the presence of
[molecular] oxygen, evaporates into a gaseous, probably monomer(?)
form of UO3. >>

What could "monomerem" mean in the context of inorganic chemistry?
I can't believe that UO3 can form polymers.  If it means individual
molecules, that would explain that it stays aerosol for a long time,
in turn explaining how the U.S. Army has failed to detect it with
collectors at the base of their ordnance fires.

I was raised on a U.S. Army base just outside Nuremberg, but my
German is really poor these days.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Here are some other passages from the English translation of the
Gmelin Handbook:

"The taking up of oxygen [by U3O8] is not infrequently ignored."
(volume U-C1 (1977), page 98)

"The appearance potential [of UO2+ from UO2 is 5 electron-Volts.]"
(volume U-C5 (1986), pp. 276-8.)

Five electron volts seems like a very little amount inside a hot fire.

Sincerely,
James Salsman