[ RadSafe ] Re: Hormetic X-Ray Exposure ?

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 16:05:12 CEST 2005

Obviously, I touched a raw nerve.  I cited the example
of lung cancer as an example of cancer rates rising
and falling.  The relation between smoking and
incidence rate is fairly intuitive.  One of the big
inequities of our health care system is the inability
to regulate cigarettes.  My father's heart attack and
death were probably due to the two packs a day he
smoked.  At the bottom of this link there is a good
comparison between the big three cancers
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/1999/399_lung.html

I am not sure what question you answered, since I did
not pose a question to you.  However, I am interested
in what the radon and ambient radiation exposure rates
are at your facility?  How long do your customers
stay?  Have you or anyone else determined what their
doses are?

I would not worry about getting cancer.  Even with the
atomic bomb survivors, the incidence was not high for
many of the doses, and protracted exposures probably
reduces the risks by a factor of 2 or 3.  But I suer
you are aware of that.
http://www.rerf.or.jp/eigo/radefx/late/cancrisk.htm

Of course, it would be interesting to know what your
dose has been.  Without a measured number, your
ancedotal comments are only that, which is why I asked
the questions about doses above.  By the way, my
grandmothers lived into their late eighty's and had
never been to a radon mine.  Is that surprising?

--- Patricia Lewis <lewis at radonmine.com> wrote:
> Answer: With interest and only if the cancer is Lung
> Cancer.....
>     Just kidding - You think you can stump me, eh??
> Cancer is a mighty big
> word.  2 of 3 men will get "cancer"; 1 of every 3
> women will get "cancer".
> If ANYONE is to get cancer it will be me.  I put my
> money where my mouth is.
> See, I understand the exposures and we've done the
> math.  2 + 3 does not
> equal 3,658 - no matter WHO is paying for the
> answer.  I get 25x's the
> exposure as my guests on an annual basis - 12 years
> of it so far .... I
> should probably be getting "cancer" any minute now.
>  If I do, I promise to
> share that information with all of you.  A guest
> checked in yesterday - his
> last visit here was 30 years ago.   Many employees
> who worked in the office
> decades ago live to their late 80's and 90's -
> except the smokers.
>     I've toyed with a "money back guarantee" or
> something like Bernie's
> "prove me wrong" reward - prove no improvement (via
> a specific lab test
> etc.,) and if no positive effects = money back.
> Kills two birds - I get the
> blood work documented, and our guests get back their
> health (in most cases).
>     Thanks for letting me answer that question.
> Best,  pat

"Embarrassed, obscure and feeble sentences are generally, if not always, the result of embarrassed, obscure and feeble thought."
Hugh Blair, 1783

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com