[ RadSafe ] Radiation in San Fran's water

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Sat Apr 23 07:31:48 CEST 2005

In a message dated 4/22/2005 11:05:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
ncohen12 at comcast.net writes:

“Ordinary garbage” does not normally include radioactive
elements. As a matter of fact, none of these elements are ordinary;  they
are manmade.
Technically, "ordinary garbage" generally does include radioactive  elements.
 And, harm associated with exposure to radioactive materials  emanates from
both the "natural" and "man-made" forms.  That's really an  artificial
distinction that serves political, but not scientific purposes.

Here’s  the kicker, and an even greater concern if they did dump these
barrels into the bay: water isn’t just wet. Water is corrosive. And  when
it meets metal, it steals the ions and causes rust. If you have  a
55-gallon drum eroding from the radiation inside, and the water  outside,
you have a potentially deadly experiment going on.
This  is one good reason to stop the Lennar home building project that is
slated to break ground soon on Parcel A at the Shipyard. The need  for
housing does not outweigh the damage to the health of local  people should
this turf be razed, liberating an incredible amount of  toxic dust and
exposing arriving community members to a water table  that is nothing less
than uranium soup.
Not to be cynical, but, in my experience, housing developments are  generally
opposed in California by nearby populations due to traffic  concerns.  Since
this will rarely garner sufficient political capital to  halt a development,
the opposition coalitions generally turn to some  alleged critical
environmental concern (e.g., an endangered species, residual  contamination, etc.) to turn
the issue into something other than "I don't want  more traffic on my
commute."  The tactic has been reasonably successful,  and I expect it to continue,
because it is politically expedient.  I  suspect the politicians all think
they're the next Erin Brockovich (which, in my  opinion is nothing to be proud
of...but they did make a movie about her,  starring Julia Roberts, no
less...so...there's obviously some mileage in  it).

There is no excuse for selling a
community on housing  when they will end up in their grave.
Which, just BTW, is where we will all end up.  Just FYI - life is 100%  fatal.

Carl Sagan, on  page 322 of “Cosmos,” explains that  “Rongalup residents
ended up with  strontium concentrated in their bones,  and radioactive iodine
concentrated
in their thyroids. Two thirds of  the children, and one third of the adults
later developed thyroid  abnormalities, growth retardation or malignant
tumors.”
No offense to Dr. Sagan, and maybe this is substantiated somewhere, but I'd
really be interested in seeing a peer-reviewed study of this population,
rather  than hearing anecdotal comments on it, which have little scientific  weight.

Not  everyone is killed by the flash of a bomb or the meltdown of a reactor
or even the fallout. However, the fallout will be around for quite  some
time as Sagan tells us. Most strontium 90 decays in 96 years  and cesium
137 in 100 years.
Technically, they both have a half-life of about 30 years, so this  statement
alone calls into serious question any other comments made in the same
document.

Dennis  Kyne is a combat veteran with 15 years in the U.S. Army. He holds a
degree in political science cum laude from San Jose State University  with
an emphasis on nuclear proliferation.
And, it was pretty clear from this article, even without his  CV, that he has
virtually no technical expertise in this area.

Barbara L. Hamrick