[ RadSafe ] Determining Radon

John Andrews andrewsjp at chartertn.net
Mon Apr 25 04:14:53 CEST 2005

cobdw at tds.net wrote:

>Our soil remediation project just acquired a PCM-2.  This is a whole body gas proportional frisker set up to detect alpha and beta contamination.  Since we are a soil remediation project, we are subject to radon gas. Per our procedures, we are required to report all personal skin and clothing contaminations with the exception of contamination due to radon gas.  I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with this type of instrument in detecting radon gas and what methodology is used in the field to determine if the alarms are due to radon or real contamination?  Please keep in mind that we do not have a count room available with the gamma spec. capabilities.  We are limited to field instruments only.
>
>Thank you in advance for all replies to this inquiry.
>
>Douglas Coble

Contamination from radon is primarily alpha activity from the
daughters.  These daughters have a half life of about 30 minutes.  The
appropriate action on contamination is to detain the person for about
one half life and recount.  If the activity drops by about half, then
the proximate source is radon gas.  Some history of these readings
should be maintained and used to document subsequent actions or changed
protocols.

A gamma-ray spectrometer system would be really helpful in analyzing for
radon daughters on air samples in the area where some contamination is
suspected.

Don't feel alone in this process.  It is an ongoing problem for many
operations.

John Andrews, Knoxville, Tennessee