FW: [ RadSafe ] Re; Beam me up scotty! There is no INTELLIGENT lifedownhere!

Dukelow, James S Jr jim.dukelow at pnl.gov
Fri Apr 29 00:59:14 CEST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Dukelow, James S Jr
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 3:23 PM
To: 'Fritz A. Seiler'
Subject: RE: [ RadSafe ] Re; Beam me up scotty! There is no INTELLIGENT lifedownhere!

Hi Fritz,

You presume that I am stating a political position rather than a technical one.  I have no particular aversion to weapons systems that are likely to work.  You might look at David Parnas' analysis of the software engineering constraints on successful development of Star Wars systems (in Communications of the ACM, v. 28, no. 12, December 1985, pp. 1326-1335, "Software Aspects of Strategic Defense Systems").

I will stipulate that Reagan's embrace of Teller's boondoggle probably contributed to the collapse of the Soviet Union (as they spent themselves into bankruptcy).  That benefit behind us, it would be a good idea for us not to follow them into bankruptcy.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow