[ RadSafe ] Re: Fw: Low-Dose Radiation "quibbles"

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Sun Feb 6 02:14:17 CET 2005

In a message dated 2/5/2005 1:40:06 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jjcohen at prodigy.net writes:

Barbara---You betcha! I, for one, have submitted many comments on proposed
regulatory actions. IMHO, my comments were thoughtful, logical, and insightful
in pointing out where the proposed action would be contrary to the best
public  interests. Every time, my comments were ignored.  From this lack of
response, I have never learned where my reasoning might be fallacious, and I  am
left with the impression that such commenting is simply an exercise in  futility.
Ah, but it is not enough for one person, or even twenty to  comment.  There
are a number of things that need to be done.  First,  more HPs need to comment
- hundreds or a thousand -  and provide their  professional background.  Many
agencies do give some weight to experts in  the field versus comments from the
lay public.  In addition, political  representatives need to be contacted.
They need to know that an agency is  going in the wrong direction, because in
my experience, when a senator contacts  an agency about something, the agency
jumps to attention.

Do not expect agencies to respond personally to comments.  They  generally
will not.  Usually, if the comments are made on a draft  rulemaking, the
response to comments will be included in the final  published rule, and your comments
will likely be incorporated into a list of  general comments made.

In addition, once a rulemaking is final, the rule can always be challenged
in the courts.  This can be expensive, and it is generally more  cost-effective
if a coalition of affected parties joins together in the  suit.  One such
type of challenge might be under the Data Quality Act,  potentially challenging
regulations or even such public  published statements as "there is no safe
level of radiation."

BTW,  have you considered the possibility that the reason most  radiation
safety professionals do not actively oppose excessively restrictive regulation
of low-dose exposures is because prefer things just the way they are. It is
easy to rationalize such positions simply by referring to ICRP/NCRP
recommendations (i.e. if radiation were not harmful at all dose levels, why  would we
need LNT, ALARA, etc)?
Before getting into a  fight, it is a wise policy to understand what you will
be up  against.

With respect to the possibility that radiation safety professionals do not
actively oppose excessive regulation, I still take umbrage to the inference
that  it is done for some kind of personal benefit.  If anything, I think that
many of them do not realize that the LNT is a tool used for simplifying the
establishment of regulatory limits, and does not represent any confirmed
scientific reality.  I believe it is easier to turn to the ICRP/NCRP, and  say,
"I'll just do what they're doing," but that does not make the model real,  and
that's a flaw that we need to correct in our education of health  physicists.

I think I understand what I'm up against.  I am concerned that so few  health
physicists seem to be engaged in the process of correcting the excesses
wrought by our propensity to take a problem such as milk production, and using a
"spherical cow" to model it, because the public now believes there are
spherical  cows (i.e., that the LNT demonstrates "real" deaths down to zero dose).
We  need to take responsibility for fixing that misperception.

Barbara L. Hamrick