[ RadSafe ] Dirty War" will be aired soon on PBS

Gerry Blackwood gpblackwood at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 8 16:41:23 CET 2005

Dirty War" will be aired soon on PBS also, see press release extract below:

In an unprecedented arrangement, three provocative films from Home Box Office will be distributed through PBS for broadcast television following their HBO premiere, announced jointly today by Chris Albrecht, chairman and CEO, Home Box Office, and Pat Mitchell, president and CEO, PBS. In addition, HBO and PBS member station WETA Washington, D.C., will co-produce, along with the Council on Foreign Relations, related panel discussions to follow each film on PBS, featuring leading experts and moderated by noted journalist Jeff Greenfield, to follow each film on PBS.

"These movies address three of the most important issues of the 21st
century, including nuclear terrorism, global AIDS and genocide in Africa," said Albrecht. "We are pleased to expand the audience for these extraordinary films by offering them to PBS viewers, and we're proud to help illuminate each subject with discussions by leading experts in those fields."

Noted Mitchell, "PBS' mandate is to foster an engaged, informed citizenry through content that offers insight and sparks meaningful dialogue. These films do just that, and we are pleased to partner with HBO to extend the value of the films through televised panel discussions of these critical global issues. As the nation's largest public service broadcaster, reaching nearly every household in America, we're proud to present these important films on PBS and allow them to reach an even wider audience."

Colin Callender, president of HBO Films, added, "We are always looking for innovative ways to bring HBO Films to a wider audience. Along with our successful ventures into theatrical release, this partnership with PBS is a bold and exciting way of doing that."

The first film, DIRTY WAR, tells the fictional story of a radiological "dirty bomb" attack on central London and debuts Monday, January 24 on HBO. DIRTY WAR is scheduled for Wednesday, February, 23 on PBS. Directed by Dan Percival who wrote the screenplay with Lizzie Mickery, this HBO Films/BBC Films production is based on extensive research by the BBC factual department and asks the questions: Are our emergency services fully prepared for a nuclear attack? How much does the public have a right to know?

The PBS presentation of DIRTY WAR in February will be followed by a
half-hour panel discussion with experts in homeland security, emergency preparedness, nuclear weapons and terrorism.