AW: [ RadSafe ] Dirty War" will be aired soon on PBS

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Feb 9 19:40:36 CET 2005

Dear RADSAFErs,

I saw many, many years ago a film on TV in Finland, which dealt with the
aftermath of a nuclear attack on Great Britain - Sheffield if I remember
correctly. This was long before any scenarios on Dirty Bombs, but
involved a real nuclear weapons attack. The scenario was probably not
really convincing, but the description of decline of social and ethical
standards in this case was really breathtaking. It was in my opinion far
above the level of similar films like "The day after".

Anybody who knows about the film I am referring to?

Franz Schoenhofer
PhD, MR iR
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
AUSTRIA
phone -43-0699-1168-1319

They
> have been called weapons of mass disruption.
>
> Dirty War, produced by BBC Films, was extensively researched by BBC
> Current
> Affairs. It was developed in consultation with experts in the fields
of
> emergency planning, counter-terrorism and the emergency services.
>
> It aimed to provide a valuable public service by informing people
about
> what
> to do in the event of such an attack, in addition to guidelines
already
> provided by the government.
>
> The film focused on the experiences of a fireman, two anti-terrorist
> officers, a minister, and the international terrorists; both before
and
> after the attack.
>
> The film was followed by a live question and answer programme on BBC
One,
> where viewers got the chance to put their questions to a panel of
experts.

> Dirty War was broadcast on Sunday, 26 September, 2004 at 2100 BST on
BBC

btefft at community-research.com;
> graham_allison at harvard.edu; jellery at greaterrvb.com
> Subject: RE: [ RadSafe ] Dirty War" will be aired soon on PBS
>
> Is this a remake/update of the NOVA episode aired February 25, 2003?
>
> >From the NOVA web page:  "The program dramatizes two credible attack
> scenarios based on sophisticated models developed by radiation
experts.
> These models are then played out in two major cities, Washington and
> London,
> with results that are both frightening and sobering"
>
> As I recall the emphasis was on the economic impact.
>
> My opinion, not that of the government
>
> William K. Tuttle III, PhD
> RSO
> Portland VA Medical Center

Africa,"
> said Albrecht. "We are pleased to expand the audience for these
> extraordinary films by offering them to PBS viewers, and we're proud
> help
> illuminate each subject with discussions by leading experts in those
> fields."
>
> Noted Mitchell, "PBS' mandate is to foster an engaged, informed
citizenry
> through content that offers insight and sparks meaningful dialogue.
These
> films do just that, and we are pleased to partner with HBO to extend
the
> value of the films through televised panel discussions of these
critical
> global issues. As the nation's largest public service broadcaster,
> reaching
> nearly every household in America, we're proud to present these
important
> films on PBS and allow them to reach an even wider audience."
>
> Colin Callender, president of HBO Films, added, "We are always looking
for
> innovative ways to bring HBO Films to a wider audience. Along with our
> successful ventures into theatrical release, this partnership with PBS
is
> bold and exciting way of doing that."
>
> The first film, DIRTY WAR, tells the fictional story of a radiological
> "dirty bomb" attack on central London and debuts Monday, January 24 on
> HBO.
> DIRTY WAR is scheduled for Wednesday, February, 23 on PBS. Directed by
Dan
> Percival who wrote the screenplay with Lizzie Mickery, this HBO
Films/BBC