[ RadSafe ] Some Observations on Radsafe

Vernig, Peter G. Peter.Vernig at med.va.gov
Wed Feb 9 22:58:16 CET 2005

Group,

I am on my fourth moderator of radsafe now.

I maintain my membership for two reasons.

One, less and less apt, there are occasionally interesting information that
is given in the messages.
Two, if I have a question outside of my usual areas of experience and
interest I know if anybody in the country has insight they are likely on
Radsafe and likely invented it, developed it, or cleaned it up, as
appropriate.

More and more of late, there are never ending discussions of issues that can
not be objectively resolved and they serve to obscure the useful and
interesting messages.

When people disagree over such issues it is rather silly to descend into
personal attacks but it happens unfortunately.  It is reasonable to say you
don't see how anybody intelligent could hold such an opinion but that is
kind of the threshold of acceptability IMO.

Discussions of the sobriety or hallucinatory state of ones intellectual
opponent is unacceptable as is the discussion of the legality of their
parent's marriage, their probable destination in an afterlife and a
discussion of their personal hygiene habits.

That said I found the person who lodged the original complaint's message to
be as objectionable as the response she complained about.

The vote is meaningless.  It is up to the moderator and always has been and
always will be unless Radsafe incorporates and elects some kind of board
which is probably not going to happen.

I would suggest that the personnel involved in the dispute apologies to each
other and voluntarily refrain from sending messages for say a week.  And
when they resume they read their messages carefully for unacceptable content
and think twice before hitting the send key.

I know this will not be done and this message will be generally ignored.  I
have this Don Quixote thing.

Regards all.

Any opinions in this e-mail are solely those of the author, and are not
represented as those of the VA Eastern Colorado HCS, the Dept. of Veterans
Affairs, or the US Government.

Peter G. Vernig, Radiation Safety Officer, MS-115, VA Eastern Colorado
Health Care System, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO 80220,
peter.vernig at med.va.gov, Phone= 303.399.8020 x2447; Fax = 303.393.5026,
alternate fax, 303.393.5248

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is lovely, whatever is
admirable, if anything is found to be excellent or praiseworthy, let your
mind dwell on these things."

Paul of Tarsus