FW: [ RadSafe ] did everyone get this email?

Mercado, Don don.mercado at lmco.com
Thu Feb 10 00:00:24 CET 2005

I live and work in the San Francisco Bay area in California. It is one
of the most culturally diverse environments on the planet. I am
CONSTANTLY, both at work and home, confronted by potential
misunderstandings due to differences in cultural backgrounds, English as
a second language, lack of knowledge of the subject, honest mistakes,
etc. I even recently started dating a very native Philipino lady (talk
about potential for misunderstandings!!!!!)  :^)

I find that with patient questioning, respect, and sympathy for their
plight, I can get to the root of their query and help them without
conflict. I know when I first started studying the Bible, I didn't know
enough to ask intelligent questions, and the ones I asked may have
sounded foolish to someone who was much more learned than I. But I asked
anyway, because I wanted to learn. Sometimes I got a reaction like
Franz's which turned me off and I lost all respect for the person. I
persevered anyway. But I REALLY, REALLY appreciated the people who were
patient and understanding and educated me enough in the basics so that I
could ask intelligent questions. Those people TAUGHT me.

There are no stupid questions (except those that aren't asked) but there
certainly are stupid answers. Most questioners here are genuine, not
people trying to ask "gotcha" questions. Those who are are usually found
out quickly and reasoned into silence. And remember, RADSAFE is an
international forum, so don't judge quickly. You DO NOT know what is
confusing the question's content.

I guess what I'm trying to say is be gentle with questioners. Education
is our best ally in fighting the ignorance hampering nuke power and
anything radiation related. And who knows, it might be your son or
daughter who's heard of this list asking the questions.