[ RadSafe ] 1,500 Evacuated After Tanker Explodes

Gaglierd, Tony TGaglierd at achd.net
Thu Feb 10 19:26:01 CET 2005

Just a few words relative to Dr Stabin's posting relative to the butane
taker explosion and the HF release in Creighton, PA. I was one of the
responders to the HF release; I think I am in a unique position to view both
the chemical (Hazmat) and Radiological accident scenarios. I am both a
Hazmat Technician and Radiological Officer and Instructor.

Had the rail car not landed upside down in the river and the Anhydrous HF
not dissolved in the water. We would have had a situation worse than the
chlorine care release in Akin South Caroline. I feel, as do others that we
would have suffered deaths and serious injuries in both the civilian and
responder community.

The response though handled very professionally and effectively was viewed
as a " Hazardous Material Incident" We can deal with this".

I think the response and level of concern (hysteria) in both the response
community and the public would have been significantly different if the rail
car was carrying spent fuel for example.

The hazards of the latter would be magnitudes less than the HF, but the
concern would be magnitudes greater.

The point is the same as has been brought out many times before. A lack of
knowledge, training and understanding of the hazards proper response to an
incident involving radioactive materials at the responder and public level.
This is a Radiological Incident Oh *&%$ we CANT deal with this. Lets over
react It's a RAD incident.

One last comment. Aside from 911 when was the last time we had a terrorist
incident. We have had three significant Hazardous Materials incidents in the
past month.

Maybe we all ought to get back to the basics of Hazardous Materials and
Radiation Response.

Tony Gaglierd RO, EMT, RI3
Administrator
Allegheny County Health Department