[ RadSafe ] Radiation antidote to be readily available

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 22:34:49 CET 2005

Interesting.  On the news last night they had a story
about the U.S. Air Force spending thousands of dollars
on a study of teleportation,  just like in Star Trek.
Yep, our government in action.

--- Susan Gawarecki <loc at icx.net> wrote:

> Radiation antidote to be readily available
> By Jennifer Harper
> THE WASHINGTON TIMES
> Published February 10, 2005
>
> A simple vitamin pill soon may be part of the
> American military arsenal.
>
> The Defense Department has joined forces with
> Humanetics, a
> Minneapolis-based nutritional-supplement
> manufacturer, to refine an
> over-the-counter, anti-radiation pill that may be
> ready by year's end,
> one source said Tuesday.
>
> Described as a "radioprotective drug," the mystery
> pill is meant to be a
> practical, cheap antidote for millions in the event
> of nuclear attack.
>
> "The chances of military or civilian personnel being
> exposed to dirty
> bombs or improvised nuclear devices have risen
> dramatically," said Mark
> H. Whitnall, director of the Radiation Casualty
> Management Team at the
> Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute in
> Bethesda.
>
> In the past, radiation victims have been treated
> with substances that
> bind to radioactive materials so they can pass
> safely out of the body --
> "potassium iodide, Prussian blue, calcium DTPA and
> zinc
> DTPA," Mr. Whitnall said.
>
> "Humanetics has a portfolio of four nutritional
> supplements which have
> shown beneficial effects on the immune system, and
> in some cases, have
> shown promise as anti-radiation drugs in preclinical
> research," he said.
>
> "These drugs can also be developed as injectable
> prescription drugs.
> Because of their proven low toxicity, low cost and
> stability at
> environmental temperatures, these agents are
> attractive as
> candidates for stockpiling for military or civilian
> use," Mr. Whitnall
> said. "Two of these compounds are already available
> for sale as dietary
> supplements."
>
> He did not identify the compounds.
>
> Eager entrepreneurs already offer so-called
> anti-radiation preparations.
> Nuke Protect and Rad Block are marketed right
> alongside the bee pollen
> and super-vitamins familiar to fans of alternative
> medicine.
>
> Nuke Protect consists primarily of potassium iodide,
> recommended by the
> Department of Homeland Security, the Centers for
> Disease Control and
> Prevention, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
> and other federal
> agencies as a "blocking agent" to protect the human
> thyroid gland, which
> rapidly absorbs ionized radiation.
>
> Nuke Protect also contains selenium yeast, spice
> extracts and "wild
> Pacific kelp," according to Smart Bomb, an online
> herbs and supplements
> [...]

=====
"Baltimore is actually a very safe city if you are not involved in the drug trade."
DR. PETER BEILENSON, the city's health commissioner.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com