[ RadSafe ] safety and security translation

Jose Julio Rozental joseroze at netvision.net.il
Fri Feb 11 11:02:14 CET 2005

Dear colleagues,

Two specific words to denote conceptions in nuclear field are Safety and Security. No difficulty to understand the meaning in both cases in english. In French also:  Sûreté (Safety),  Sécurité (Security),  however  in many languages the same word may be used for both. In Brazilian  or Spanish dictionaries they are synonymous, and the same word to characterize both Safety or Security: Seguridad in Spanish and Seguranca in Portuguese. This brings a problem on how to express safety and how to express security.
I have restriction on the IAEA Spanish terms for both words, and in the paper that I am writing about  the today's IAEA conception on Security I decided to include this part to discuss.  My request to colleagues is to receive the terminology from countries with the same Spanish or Brazilian situation, only one word translated to Safety and Security and how they express Safety and Security.
I think this is also in Danish sikkerhed for safety and security or sicurezza in Italian.

Thank you

Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze at netvision.net.il
Israel