[ RadSafe ] Radsafe rules and SOME people's conduct

Flanigan, Floyd Floyd.Flanigan at nmcco.com
Fri Feb 11 15:22:49 CET 2005

C'mon Rick. Stop sugar-coating it. Let us know how you really feel. It's not good to keep such things bottled up. One might blow a proverbial gasket ... Okay ... All facetiousness aside ... So F.S. has railed on the occasional poster in a public forum. Yup ... I can't argue with that. But what did you just do Rick? You just railed on F.S. in the same public forum. We, as members of the scientific community, need to look deeper than the surface of a thing in order to gain a more meaningful understanding of it. This is no different. People have bad days. Some more than others. F.S. may have been having one. We don't know ... and that is the point. Yes, there have been anti-American comments made on this list from time to time ... But that is the whole point of America ... freedom of speech/expression. If our patriotism cannot survive opposition in ideology, maybe we have some inward searching to do. I'm an American ... born and raised here. F.S. isn't. He doesn't HAVE to love America. He doesn't HAVE to agree with a single other poster on this list. If the list moderator finds his conduct of a serious enough nature, the moderator will take any action he deems warranted. Not us. As for the "certain European's" comment, not necessary. There are enough reasons one can come up with to think someone else is a jerk without stooping to the level of national bigotry. We are all, in some respect or other(and to varying degrees) scientists on this list. We strive to answer questions and gain insight. Personalities will clash, tempers will occasionally flair ... but a constant effort must be made to keep ourselves from straying from the path we initially set out on when joining this list ... the path to knowledge and understanding. They go hand in hand. Has anyone here got an in-depth understanding of why F.S. says some of the things he says? For that matter, has anyone asked? I know I haven't. While railing against him for his comments, I have seen postings maligning him for being old/European/fat/lazy .... get it? Even while scolding him for his posts, the scolders are emulating his actions.

I won't be endorsing either side of this argument because, in my opinion (and we ALL have the right to have our own) I find nothing valid on either side worth standing up for. There will always be things on this list which are inflammatory to some. The important thing is to get past that and to what matters. Sift through the thing and extract what is useful. Throw the rest away. Look past the personal comments and gouges and seek any value you might exact from it. Then YOU come out on top regardless because YOU have gained from the exchange. Anything less is a waste of your time.

My humble apologies to anyone who might have been offended by what I have written here. None was intended.

Floyd W.Flanigan B.S.Nuc.H.P.