[ RadSafe ] US Government Charging for Radiation Safety Software

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 16:36:36 CET 2005

This is part of the government's program to recover
costs.  In the "old" days, the government was the
prime mover in a lot of programs to educated the
public and foster research.  Now, cost must becovered
in order for agencies to function.  The NRC charges
licensees to process their applications and peform
inspections.  RSICC at ORNL used to give its software
to other government agencies.  It may still do you DOE
facilicities, but I had to buy my copy of MCRP-5,
because we work for the FDA.

Yes, the NRC gave money to have VARSKIN updated.
VARSKIN-2 is in the public domain, and VARSKIN-3
should be also.  This nickel-and-diming of the public
is a sad commentary of our government.  Sorry, I have
not encouaging words.

--- Wesley <wesvanpelt at att.net> wrote:

> Fellow Radsafers,
>

> Some days ago I asked you if Varskin 3 is available
> on the internet. This is
> a terrific computer program written by James Durham
> that calculates beta
> skin dose from any beta radionuclide deposited on or
> near the skin.
>

> Several of you kind folks pointed me in a few
> directions. But the bottom
> line seems to be that, unless it is for research or
> educational use only,
> one must pay $300 to RSICC at ORNL (Oak Ridge
> National Lab) for the Varskin
> 3 software.
>

> I believe that Varskin 3 was developed using US
> taxpayer funds. (Someone
> correct me if I am wrong.) This means that the US
> government is charging us
> TWICE for the privileged of using this software.
>

> I looked up some copyright information and found
> this from the US Code (17
> USC 105):
>

> §105. Subject matter of copyright: United States
> Government works
>
> Copyright protection under this title is not
> available for any work of the
> United States Government, but the United States
> Government is not precluded
> from receiving and holding copyrights transferred to
> it by assignment,
> bequest, or otherwise.
>

> I wonder if it is legal for RSICC, a government
> entity, to charge for the
> software it distributes. I wonder if the government
> claims to hold the
> copyright for this software. If the $300 is just a
> copying fee, then anyone
> receiving the software should be able to freely
> distribute it.
>

> Any enlightened comments will be appreciated.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Wes
>
> Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP
>
> Wesley R. Van Pelt Associates, Inc.

=====
"Baltimore is actually a very safe city if you are not involved in the drug trade."
DR. PETER BEILENSON, the city's health commissioner.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com