[ RadSafe ] Britain downplays 66 pounds of plutonium listed asmissing

Fred Dawson fd003f0606 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 17 18:10:32 CET 2005

FYI press release from BNFL

http://www.bnfl.co.uk/index.aspx?page=969

Publication of Materials Unaccounted for (MUF)
Media Response - Publication of Materials Unaccounted for (MUF)

MUF figures have been produced since 1977 and vary from year to year. They
are the result of measurement uncertainties. Some years there are apparent
gains, some years there are apparent losses.

These uncertainties exist in all industrial processes, for example the gold
industry experiences the same thing when extracting gold from ores - the
amount recovered never precisely matches the amount estimated in the ore.

No nuclear material has been stolen. Figures change from year to year.
Negative numbers do not mean material has disappeared; positive numbers don't
mean material has been created.

None has been removed from our plants and there are no security implications
of this accounting issue. There are also no safety or environmental
implications whatsoever.

Euratom, the European regulator with responsibility for this issue, has
accepted all inventories as satisfactory. In fact, The International Atomic
Energy Authority (IAEA) sets international standard on these uncertainties
at 1% of the total throughput. The latest Sellafield figures represent only
around 0.5% of the Sellafield throughput.

The techniques we use to account for our nuclear material are
internationally approved and recognised as best practice. In particular, the
systems of statistical measurement and control in the Thorp reprocessing
plant to estimate the amount of plutonium are the most advanced in the
world.

Group Media Relations
Daresbury

Fred Dawson