[ RadSafe ] markey-connection between infant mortality and nu kes

Conklin, Al Al.Conklin at DOH.WA.GOV
Thu Feb 24 18:43:59 CET 2005

This reminds me of a so-called "epidemiologic" study done by an Idaho
physician (a podiatrist), where he claims that Multiple Sclerosis cases in
counties in Washington state downwind of Hanford's historical releases are
significantly higher than in unaffected Western Washington. All he looks at
are cases of MS in the counties east of the Cascade Mountains as opposed to
the west side, without considering anything like actual doses from the
releases, any other environmental factors, or whether or not the eastern
Washington counties were actually "downwind" of Hanford. It turns out that
several of the counties he claims were affected by Hanford and had higher MS
cases were almost 100% of the time NOT downwind of any Hanford plume.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On Behalf
Of Flood, John
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 7:53 AM
To: 'Norm Cohen'; Flood, John; Richard L. Hess; radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: RE: [ RadSafe ] markey-connection between infant mortality and nu
kes

-----Original Message-----
From: Norm Cohen [mailto:ncohen12 at comcast.net]
kes

Answers below in the dashes -----

> --- Both. When reading the annual effluent reports, at least the ones
> from

> PSEG (Salem/Hope Creek) and from Exelon (Oyster), its clear that there
> is

> alot of estimating and guessing
> going on.

What quantities are expressed as estimates and guesses?

> I have been told that effluent numbers went down after TMI

What is the point of this statement?

> and I've been told that not all effluent releases are caught and measured.

Do you mean that not all of a release is analyzed, or that some releases are
not monitored at all?

>      Even so, the amount of documented sr90 in the reports is small.
> ---

Wouldn't that be the objective of the operator?  They spent a lot of time
and money to install reactor water cleanup systems, and then spend a lot of
time and money maintaining them, solely for the purpose of NOT releasing
radioactive material in plant effluents.  That's how it's supposed to work.

Bob Flood
Nevada Test Site